Primary classroom – 3 to 6-year-old children
JollyPlace Primary Program is a traditional Montessori program that fosters independence, discovery and discipline. It is designed for children aged three through six; however, the materials each classroom is equipped with have the capacity to advance the child into the lower elementary level. The environment is academically enriched to not only meet the developmental needs of your child but also to provide natural and holistic ways to stimulate their senses, promote higher thinking and create self-discoveries. The sequential and self-corrective nature of the materials teaches children how to motivate themselves to learn. It gives them tools to find the personalized teaching techniques, tools that prepare them for life. Our program also draws inspiration from the teachings of Waldorft and Emilio Reggio, incorporating which into the Montessori method provides a beautiful, well-rounded, universal approach to early learning that sets the foundation for life experiences. At JollyPlace, we offer the following programs:
PART TIME PROGRAM
8:30am – 1:00pm, Monday – Friday
Our morning program incorporates activities and routines that enhance the physical, psycho-social and academic functioning of the child. Children choose their activities from self-correcting materials displayed on open shelves. These materials aid sensorial exploration that provides the basis for developing curiosity, concentration and self-discipline. Over a period of time, the children develop into a “normalized community”. Normalization is the process whereby a child moves from being undisciplined to self-disciplined, from disordered to ordered and from distracted to focused through work in the environment. The process occurs through repeated work with materials that captivate the child’s attention.
In the Montessori school, the following five distinct areas of development are targeted:
- Practical life: This is about enhancing the development of hand-eye coordination, gross motor control and cognitive abilities through care of self, care of the environment, development of social relations and coordination of physical movement.
- Sensorial area: This involves exercises to enable the child to order, classify and describe sensory impressions in relation to length, width, temperature, mass, color, etc.
- Mathematics: Montessori method makes use of materials that children can touch, manipulate and move so they internalize concepts of numbers, symbols, sequences, operations and memorization of basic facts.
- Language Arts: Areas targeted under this category include oral language development, written expression, reading, grammar, creative dramatics and children’s literature. Basic skills in reading and writing are developed through the use of sandpaper letters, alphabet cut-outs and various presentations. This teaches children to link sounds and letter symbols effortlessly and to express their thoughts through writing.
- Cultural Activities: We expose the child to the basics of geography, history, life sciences and earth sciences. Music, art and movement education are also parts of the integrated cultural curriculum.
FULL TIME PROGRAM
8:30 – 3:00, Monday – Friday
This program includes the morning activities as described above, followed by lunch, playground time, and an afternoon session during which the children become involved in extended activities designed to instill principles of all aspects of school readiness. The children follow carefully designed, personalized Kindergarten curriculum specific to their needs and development levels.
The kindergarten program is offered to our continuing students and children with previous Montessori experience at other schools.
MORNING DROP OFF
7:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
This program accommodates families’ need for care of their children before school. It includes interactive and imaginative play-based activities in individual and group settings. During the morning hour, the children get to know each other and prepare for their school day.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
3:15 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
This program is for families to accommodate their need for after-school care of their children. We offer a variety of after school activities and plenty of outside time and games. Nutritious afternoon snacks are also offered to the children. Additionally, JPMS offers extracurricular activities that are based on the total enrollment.
Hours and Location
JollyPlace is open for full and part time programs from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
JollyPlace Montessori School is a private school located 2 miles from Tysons corner in the heart of Vienna, VA. Our address is 8530 Amanda Place, Vienna, VA 22180. Our full contact information is listed under “Contact Us” section of our website.